Working at the Circulation Desk of MCHSL makes you the first point of contact with the public.
· Acknowledge customers as they enter and leave Library.
· Do not leave the desk unattended.
· Follow Service Excellence Standards when answering telephone.
· Remember dress code policy (see yourself in mirror before coming to work !) .
· Wear badge so that picture and your name face customers.
· Functions within the mission and strategic plan of Mount Carmel Health Sciences Library, Mount Carmel College of Nursing and Mount Carmel Health System
· Responsible for duties related to the
Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
· Ability to learn and operate a computerized library circulation system and other electronic library media.
· Self-motivated and proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Committed to strong customer service including ability to communicate with people from diverse personal and professional backgrounds.
· Detail oriented
· Computer skills (i. e. Excel, Word)
· Mobility (bending (knees, waist), climbing, reaching: access lower shelves, drawers, climb steps, ladders, step stools, reaching top, bottom shelves
· Strength (lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling heavy books, materials up to 20 lb and books trucks and cards up to 75 lb)
· Dexterity (gross motor skills: handing/grasping books and materials up to 20 lb; fine motor skills: keyboarding and using basic library tools as hole puncher, paper cutter, etc.)
· Hearing (i.e. telephones, alarms)
· Saturday availability
· Flexible hours
· Library Director
· Library Work Study Program Supervisor
· Direct customer service – assist customers with basic library functions
· Complete assigned training (i. e. Library workshops, familiarity with Library Policies and Procedures, basic operations standards, and personal training for assigned tasks provided by supervisor and/or other professional Library staff)
· Performs circulation duties such as check-in and checkout of library materials, registering patrons and updating patron information using automated library information system; maintain and update confidential patron records.
· Responsible for daily procedures, such as photocopying and re-shelving materials; pick up, opens and distributes mail; photocopying; answers telephone inquiries; re-shelves library materials.
· Checks in new periodical acquisitions
· Communicates effectively and appropriately with HSL customers and staff in person and over the phone (direct and transfer phone calls as needed)
· Assist HSL customers with non-complex reference queries; refers complex reference questions to the professional Library staff
· Assist HSL customers in the use of library facilities and services, with equipment: PCs, printers, photocopiers, microfilm reader/printer, laptops etc.
· Refer customers to Library Staff if necessary
· Follow proper opening and closing procedures of the Library
· Other duties as assigned
· Exhibits each of the Mount Carmel Service Excellence Behavior Standards, role modeling, excellence for all to see
· Friendly and courteous
· Professional environment
· First class service
· Demonstrates Excellency
· Maintains confidentiality within the work environment; maintains confidentiality of work information in personal settings
· Adheres to the MCHS dress code policy
Revised: April 2010
The attached documents outline Mount Carmel Health System's concept of Service Excellence
Here are some items not permitted at work: